National News Feed

After Police Shooting, Protesters In Charlotte, N.C., Shut Down Interstate : The Two-Way : NPR

The police shooting of a man in Charlotte, N.C., sparked overnight protests and unrest, temporarily shutting down a major interstate in the area.

The protests began Tuesday night after police shot and killed 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott at an apartment complex near the University of North Carolina, Charlotte.

Officers were at the complex to serve a warrant on a different man, The Associated Press reports, when they saw Scott in a car. Police say he had a gun and appeared to be a threat; a police spokesman told the AP a gun was recovered at the scene.

Scott's family, and the protesters who gathered last night, tell a different story, reports Gwendolyn Glenn of member station WFAE.

via www.npr.org


Police Hunt for Ahmad Khan Rahami in Connection With Manhattan Bombing - The New York Times

The police are searching for a 28-year-old man, described as a naturalized citizen of Afghan descent, Ahmad Khan Rahami, in connection with the bombing in Manhattan on Saturday night, sending an unprecedented cellphone alert to millions of residents.

“I want to be very clear that this individual could be armed and dangerous,” Mayor Bill de Blasio of New York said on Monday morning. “Anyone seeing him should call 911 immediately.”

Mr. de Blasio would not go into detail about why Mr. Rahami was wanted, but he said finding him was critical to the safety of the city.

“What we do know is we need to get this guy right away,” he said.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, who said on Sunday that the attack did not appear to have a link to international terrorism, said new evidence might change that thinking.

“I would not be surprised if we did have a foreign connection to the act,” he said on CNN on Monday morning.

via www.nytimes.com


Find what you're looking for with a Coralville Courier search

Find it in the Online Newstand!


Custom Search

Powerful Blast Injures at Least 29 in Manhattan; Second Device Found - The New York Times

Mayor Bill de Blasio called the explosion — which occurred about 8:30 p.m. on West 23rd Street — “an intentional act” but initially said there was no connection to terrorism and no immediate claim of responsibility.

Police officers swarmed Chelsea’s streets after the blast, which reverberated across a city scarred by terrorism and vigilant about threats, just days after the 15th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

“Whatever the cause,” Mr. de Blasio said, “New Yorkers will not be intimidated.”

As the authorities sought to identify what had caused the explosion, they described the second device as a pressure cooker resembling the one used in the deadly Boston Marathon bombings in 2013, according to a police official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a continuing investigation.

via www.nytimes.com


New York explosion leaves dozens injured in Chelsea - CNN.com

New York (CNN)Police are hunting for answers on what caused an explosion that injured 29 people in New York's Chelsea neighborhood, shortly before a second suspicious device was found nearby.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio told reporters early indications are that the explosion at 23rd Street and 6th Avenue in Manhattan at about 8.30 p.m. Saturday "was an intentional act."
 
But, he said, "there's no specific and credible threat against New York City at this time from any terror organization."

via www.cnn.com


Newly Released FBI Interview Notes Shows Hillary Didn't Know 'C' Meant Classified - Cortney O'Brien

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has just released notes from the FBI's interview with Hillary Clinton in July, according to a new press release. Congress requested the notes last month as part of its investigation into Clinton's use a private unsecure email server during her time as secretary of state.

Today the FBI is releasing a summary of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s July 2, 2016 interview with the FBI concerning allegations that classified information was improperly stored or transmitted on a personal e-mail server she used during her tenure. We also are releasing a factual summary of the FBI’s investigation into this matter. We are making these materials available to the public in the interest of transparency and in response to numerous Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests. Appropriate redactions have been made for classified information or other material exempt from disclosure under FOIA. Additional information related to this investigation that the FBI releases in the future will be placed on The Vault, the FBI’s electronic FOIA library.

via townhall.com


Aug. 2016: Chicago's Bloodiest Month in Two Decades - ABC News

CORALVILLE COURIER EDITOR'S NOTE: Chicago is reported to have the toughest gun laws in the country. Obviously, those laws aren't working. In fact, this data is evidence that strict gun laws make matters much worse.

Chicago saw its bloodiest month in two decades this August, after police recorded a staggering 90 murders, 384 shootings and 472 total shooting victims.

So far this year, police in the Windy City have logged at least 468 murders and 2,848 shooting victims. This works out to nearly 12 shooting victims, on average, every single day and 59 murders every month.

Chicago is on pace for its highest overall murder count since at least 2008, when 513 were recorded in the entire year. Overall annual murders in Chicago hit a peak of 940 in 1992, according to police statistics, and last topped 600 in 2003.

Compared to the same time period last year, murders so far in 2016 have shot up by 49 percent while shooting incidents have increased by 48 percent.

via abcnews.go.com


State finds 30 deleted Clinton emails on Benghazi | Washington Examiner

State Department attorneys said Tuesday the agency had discovered 30 Benghazi-related emails among the records recovered from Hillary Clinton's private server.

A judge asked the agency to hasten its review of the documents in preparation for release to Judicial Watch, the conservative-leaning group that filed the Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.

The emails were included among the roughly 15,000 emails FBI agents said they pulled from Clinton's server in the course of a year-long probe.

Others were deleted beyond recovery after the Democratic nominee's team used a digital tool called BleachBit to scrub the hardware that was eventually confiscated by law enforcement agents.

via www.washingtonexaminer.com


Benghazi victims' families file suit against Clinton - Chicago Tribune

The parents of two men killed in Benghazi, Libya nearly four years ago are suing former Secretary of State and current presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, saying the attack resulted from her “reckless” handling of classified information.

The federal lawsuit, filed Monday, comes from Patricia Smith of San Diego, whose son Sean Smith was a U.S. State Department technology officer, and Charles Woods of Portland, Ore., whose son Tyrone Woods was CIA security contractor.

Four people, including Smith and Woods, died after an anti-American militia group attacked the U.S. diplomatic compound on Sept. 11, 2012.

Since then, Clinton and the question of what responsibility she may have had for those deaths prompted a two-year inquiry that revealed she had used a private email server for government business.

via www.chicagotribune.com