CORALVILLE COURIER EDITOR'S NOTE: This firing should have taken place back in October when Obamacare flopped big time coming out of the gate, but it didn't because Obama puts the November election ahead of getting a job done right.....That's not leadership.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama praised outgoing Health and Human Secretary Kathleen Sebelius for helping to steer his health care law's comeback after a rocky rollout, even as he nominated a successor aimed at helping the White House move past the political damage.
"Under Kathleen's leadership, her team at HHS turned the corner, got it fixed, got the job done," Obama said in a Rose Garden ceremony Friday morning. "And the final score speaks for itself."
About 7.5 million people have signed up for health insurance through the new law, exceeding expectations after website woes stymied sign-ups for weeks when enrollment opened last fall.
- Kathleen Sebelius resigning from top HHS post Associated Press
- Sebelius resigns after health care rollout fiasco Associated Press
- Embattled Secretary Kathleen Sebelius Is Stepping Down The Fiscal Times
- 'Obama's health secretary to resign' AFP
- HHS chief Sebelius to resign after stormy Obamacare reign: reports MarketWatch