Whether you're a lifelong resident of the Corridor area, a University of Iowa student, or just visiting the area, you've come to the right place if you're looking for information about lodging, dining, activities, finding a good mechanic, a lawyer and otherwise in the Metro area! Looking for a refreshing dinner experience? Find a restaurant that intrigues you in Metro Pursuit. Have some relatives coming into town and need some entertaining ideas? Find some in Metro Pursuit. Need to move? Find a house or apartment to your liking in Metro Pursuit. Serving the entire Corridor and the metro areas of Iowa City, Coralville, North Liberty, Tiffin, Riverside, Cedar Rapids, Hiawatha, Marion and surrounding communities!

Center Point Road NE and H Avenue NE Lane Reductions

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA – Effective Monday, December 17, southbound traffic on Center Point Road NE will be reduced to one lane between 29th Street and H Avenue for utility work. In addition, eastbound traffic on  H Avenue NE will be reduced to one lane between 12th Street and Center Point Road. Work is expected to take ten (10) days, weather permitting. Traffic may experience delays and should seek alternate routes.

Copy Cat Arbynator Sandwich - Bachelor on the Cheap

By Mike Thayer

The Arbynator is a great sandwich, what Arby's did was kick their classic Roast Beef 'n Cheddar up a notch by, well, just read the description from the restaurant itself:  The Arbynator has Roast Beef, Cheese Sauce, Horsey Sauce®, Arby’s Sauce® and Curly Fries, all in the same sandwich. Or in other words, it is the most Arby’s sandwich Arby’s has ever made. Available in Classic, Double and Half Pound sizes.

It's my favorite sandwich from Arby's!  So the least I could do, is come up with a copy cat recipe so I can make it at home, right?

20181214_143250-1What's not to like.....  Roast beef, cheese sauce, a delightful combination of Arby's Sauce and Horsey Sauce, topped with seasoned curly fries and served on a garlic butter toasted bun?  (yes, the garlic butter is my personal add, so too is the seasoning on the curly fries, a little more than just salt and the thinly sliced roast beef warmed in that yummy garlic butter....).  This sandwich is another dose of YUM and I've kicked it up a notch with my own personal twists. 

And this sandwich only cost me about $1.50 to make at home, that's FAR cheaper than the restaurant price and BETTER TASTING!  Yes, better tasting because I added my own personal touches - and you can too, easily!

• Garlic butter toasted bun: $0.12 (Arby's serves the sandwich on a sesame seed bun)
  • Roast Beef sliced deli thin: $0.78 (Arby's roast beef NOT warmed in garlic butter)
  • Cheese:  $0.25
  • Curly Fries: $0.25 (Seasoned with my signature rub, not just salt)
  • Horsey & Arby's Sauce combo: $0.10

$pend Wisely My Friends.....

For other food and drink ideas, recipes and more, go to www.bacheloronthecheap.com

Related:  The Arbynator from Arby's

The Windshield: The ICPL Bookmobile Newsletter - December 2018

Bookmobile's winter vacation begins Dec. 21

Winter

The Iowa City Public Library Bookmobile’s fall schedule ends on Thursday, December 20. The Bookmobile won’t be in service December 21 through January 6 because of scheduled vehicle maintenance, collection updates, and staff training.

During the Bookmobile’s seasonal break in service, items can be returned at the downtown Library or to the Library’s remote drop boxes. Holds that arrive at the Library during this time can be found by inquiring at the Help Desk at the downtown Library or on the Bookmobile when our Winter/Spring Schedule begins.

ICPL’s Winter/Spring Bookmobile Service Begins Jan. 7

Winter

The Bookmobile's Winter/Spring Schedule begins Monday, January 7, and will continue through Thursday, May 23. Please visit the Bookmobile at the following locations during this time:

Monday

• 11 to 11:30 a.m. Iowa City Rehabilitation
  • Noon to 12:30 p.m. North Dodge Hy-Vee
  • 1:30 to 2 p.m. Legacy Independent Living
  • 2:15 to 2:30 p.m. Bickford Senior Living
  • 3 to 3:30 p.m. Bohumil Shimek Elementary
  • 4 to 4:45 p.m. Helen Lemme Elementary
  • 5 to 5:30 p.m. Waterfront Hy-Vee

Tuesday

• 9:30 to 10:15 a.m. Good Shepherd Center
  • 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Oaknoll Retirement Community, George St.
  • Noon to 12:30 p.m. University of Iowa College of Medicine Courtyard
  • 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. Pheasant Ridge Neighborhood Center
  • 2:30 to 3 p.m. Melrose Meadows
  • 3:30 to 4:15 p.m. Hills Elementary School

Wednesday

• 3:15 to 4 p.m. Irving Weber Elementary School
  • 4:15 to 5 p.m. Archibald Alexander Elementary School
  • 5:30 to 6:15 p.m. UI Community Credit Union, Mormon Trek Blvd.

Thursday

• 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Mercer Park
  • 10:45 to 11:15 a.m. First Avenue Hy-Vee
  • 11:30 to Noon Regency Heights
  • 2:15 to 3 p.m. Mark Twain Elementary School
  • 3:30 to 4 p.m. Breckenridge Estates
  • 4:30 to 5 p.m. Regency Mobile Home Community

‘Twas the week before Christmas

BMBshelves

‘Twas the week before Christmas and all through the bus,

New books were arranged on the shelves with much fuss;

Shawna had placed them, oh with great care,

In hopes they’d be borrowed, for they’re to share;

Children’s books in the back, by young eyes ‘twould be read,

Left open when falling asleep while abed;

And Paul in his ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,

Look out! There’s a biker, the brakes you must tap!

Read the rest of Tom's fun take on this holiday classic here.

Visit ICPL's Society6 store for your holiday shopping needs

Society6

In search of a gift for the booklover in your life? Visit the Iowa City Public Library’s Society6 store!

Society6 is an online store featuring the work of thousands of artists around the world. Artists upload their original work, which is then transferred to consumer goods, including prints, clocks, stationary, tote bags and coffee mugs.

The Library’s account features the Get a Library Card designs created by the Library’s graphic designer, as well as newly-added Bookmobile designs!

The ICPL Friends Foundation receives a percentage from every sale. Society6 has great sales for the holidays; finish your shopping today and support the Library, too!

12 Days of ICPL's Bookmobile

AnneBMB

According to Vox, the earliest known version of the song The 12 Days of Christmas appeared in a children’s book in 1780. Most scholars agree it was designed as a memory game where singers tested their recall of the lyrics – and had to give a kiss or favor of some kind if they made a mistake.

In 1909 a French composer set the words to the melody we now know and love (or, for some, loathe), including the long, drawn out “five go-old riiings!” verse. Vox also mentions the cost of all the gifts named in the song would total a mind-boggling $39,049.93 in 2018 dollars.

ICPL’s Bookmobile, on the other hand, is the gift that keeps on giving. We have things more useful and less annoying than eleven pipers piping; we come right to your neighborhood; and best of all, EVERYTHING IS FREE. So now, in festive song form, Anne reminds you of the plethora of gifts the Bookmobile is just waiting to share with you here.

Winter Solstice Celebration

IOWA CITY -- Celebrate the winter solstice with friends and family at the Winter Solstice Festival of Light Celebration from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 21, 2018 at the Robert A. Lee Recreation Center, 220 S. Gilbert Street. Participants will enjoy sipping hot chocolate while making holiday gifts out of natural materials including rustic ornaments, orange and clove pomanders, Tic Tac Toe in a Bag, and much more. 

The event will conclude with luminary lighting of the Discovery Garden. 

There is no fee to participate and all are welcome! Youth must be accompanied by an adult. 

Questions? Contact Joyce Carroll at 319-356-5223 or joyce-carroll@iowa-city.org.

Winter Solstice

Tryout Hopeful Inks Barnstormers Contract

DB Robert Lewis signs with the Barnstormers

Image001(1)DES MOINES – Head Coach Dixie Wooten announced today that the Iowa Barnstormers have signed defensive back Robert Lewis to a contract.

On Saturday, November 17 in Des Moines, Iowa, the Iowa Barnstormers held their annual Open Tryout. Over 30 athletes from across the country competed for a chance at making the 2019 Iowa Barnstormers roster. One of those hopefuls was Robert Lewis, a former Grand View Viking who impressed Coach Wooten and earned an invitation to training camp.

Lewis (6-0, 180, Grand View University) joins the Iowa Barnstormers for his rookie season in the Indoor Football League (IFL). Lewis spent three years at Grand View University in Des Moines where he earned honors as a two time All-Conference Defensive Player and as two-time All American Heart of America Defensive Player of the Year.

With several talented athletes in attendance at the open tryout, Robert Lewis’s focus is what grabbed Coach Wooten’s attention.

“Robert came in to the open tryout with the confidence that he belongs from the start,” said Coach Wooten. “I could tell he was focused on earning an invite to camp from the beginning. He handled himself like a professional and came to work.”

Coach Wooten has a history of signing talent from the team’s open tryouts and holds high expectations when it comes to how they perform at training camp.

“I look forward to seeing Robert bring the same confidence and hard work that I saw at the tryout into training camp,” said Coach Wooten. “I know he will compete because he wants to show the coaching staff he belongs. At the tryout he proved that he can take being coached and adjust and that is a big advantage going into camp.”

The Iowa Barnstormers home opener is scheduled for Saturday, March 9, 2019 at Wells Fargo Arena against the Green Bay Blizzard. Season Tickets are on sale for the 2019 season starting as low as $80 per seat. Don’t miss a minute of the action this season! For more information, call the Barnstormers at (515) 633-2255 or log on to www.theiowabarnstormers.com.

Community Meal at the Rec Center - Coralville

‘Tis the season and it’s a great reason to come together for the Coralville Community Meal. Hosted by the Coralville Community Food Pantry and Coralville Parks...… Read on

Date December 14, 2018
Time 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
Location Coralville Recreation Center
1506 8th St.
Coralville, IA 52241
Cost FREE

Kicking popcorn up another notch - "Honey Mustard" Popcorn - Bachelor on the Cheap

Another episode of condiment flavored popcorn, by Mike Thayer

Why is popcorn one of my favorite snack foods?  1.  It tastes great,  2.  It's WAY cheaper than a bag of chips,  3.  You can add just about any flavor to it by popping your own, turning it into a gourmet treat!

20181212_183214-1Try this the next time you make popcorn.... When melting butter while that popcorn pops, add one of those honey mustard packets you've got stashed in your 'fridge, like from Chick-fil-A, KFC or in this case, Burger King.... along with a pinch of Kosher salt, it's another episode of condiment flavored popcorn deliciousness.  It's honey, mustard and a kiss of salt.....  Another dose of YUM!  Yessssir.....  popcorn, tasty, tasty, tasty!

And if you're looking for a GREAT popcorn popper, check this out: 

Product Review: The Salbree Popper

Related:

"Sweet Heat" popcorn

"Honey Butter" popcorn

BBQ popcorn

For more food, drink, and saving money ideas go to www.bacheloronthecheap.com

Senior Center program registration opens Friday, Dec. 14

Ask your favorite Iowa City area bartender to serve you up a "Hillbilly High"

By Mike Thayer

It's five-o'clock somewhere right?

20181129_104441This is a go-to adult beverage for me, of my own invention, I call it, the Hillbilly High.  It ain't purdy, it ain't sweet, it ain't lady-like foo-foo, it don't have an umbrella in it.

It's bourbon dammit, with a caffeine kicker. 

The Hillbilly High

Ingredients:

• 1 shot of your favorite bourbon
  • 1 shot of Mountain Dew (I prefer Diet Mountain Dew, it's not as sweet)
  • 1 shot of water
  • a squeeze of lime juice and a slice to garnish

Serve on the rocks.

What makes it Hillbilly?  Well, the best American Whiskeys (Bourbon is my preference) come from Kentucky and Tennessee, Hillbilly country.  

What makes it "high?"  Mountain Dew, not only was it invented in Hillbilly country (Tennessee, 1940), it brings the caffeine kick!

Enjoy. 

And the recipe is so easy, ask your favorite bartender to whip one up for you. 

Yes Iowa City area, it is indeed my creation, a Mike Thayer original.  So while you give your favorite bar Kudos for serving it, make sure that credit is given where credit is due.  This drink was invented by Mike Thayer, a.k.a., Bachelor on the Cheap.

Cooking oils, dressings, sauces and squeeze jars - Bachelor on the Cheap

By Mike Thayer

It's not an original idea, but it is a great one...

Put cooking oils, salad dressings and sauces - things you use frequently - in squeeze bottles.

There is a reason the makers of ketchup and mustard started putting their products in customized plastic squeeze bottles in addition to traditional glass bottles and jars decades ago.  A squeeze bottle is convenient.  You get the perfect serving portion to your liking.  And not only is it a faster way to put ketchup or mustard on a sandwich, hot dog or burger, it's less of a mess too.  There's no need to pull out a knife to spread mustard around, there's no slow wait for ketchup to come out of a bottle.

While that way back commercial was humorous, nobody likes to wait for the ketchup to come out of the bottle.  For us older folks, remember those impatient ones at the diner who thumped the bottom of the bottle which often resulted in ketchup going somewhere they didn't want it too, or getting a mountain of ketchup on that burger rather than the small dollop they wanted?  Then there was the other guy who would stick a knife down the bottle to retrieve the ketchup, making a huge mess, ketchup running down the length of the knife and the guy having to ask the waitress for extra napkins?  Where you one of those guys?

Read on via www.bacheloronthecheap.com