Iowa City Police searching for missing juvenile

The Iowa City Police Department needs help locating a missing juvenile. 

14-year-old Grace Morrison was last seen at Iowa City High School on Monday, February 18, 2019, at around 1:00 p.m.  She's described as five feet, four inches tall and was last seen wearing dark pants and a multi-colored jacket.

If you see her, contact local police immediately.

grace morrison

Smokehouse/Chophouse Style Challenge: Reviewing KFC's Smoky Mountain BBQ Chicken Tenders - Bachelor on the Cheap

By Mike Thayer

KFC Smoky Mountain BBQ
KFC Promo Pic

I recently wrote about what to look forward to in 2019 from fast food.  Trending, are smokehouse/steakhouse style burgers and sandwiches and the meat of the year is predicted to be brisket.

Consumers are clamoring for something more, creations beyond the ordinary realm of classic burger and sandwich flavors.  People want smokey, they desire more than just ketchup and mustard, folks are calling for cheeses with deeper flavors and buns with a little more tease than run-of-the-mill sesame seeds.  And it's no different when it comes to other meat on bread options, a.k.a., pizza, consumers are looking for more, something beyond the traditional flavors.

20190221_121131Today for lunch I opted for 'other,' traveling to KFC and ordering their Smoky Mountain BBQ basket, going with the chicken tenders option.

Here's the description from the website:  Our Smoky Mountain BBQ brings the sweet, smoky flavors of Southern BBQ to Kentucky! Available in tenders, Chicken Littles™, and Extra Crispy™ chicken, it’s crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and delicious on every side. Try it in a Smoky Mountain BBQ basket today with your choice of Extra Crispy™ chicken or Extra Crispy™ tenders, mashed potatoes, biscuit, and pickles!

My to-go meal cost me $6.98 for three tenders, a biscuit, pickles, mashed potatoes and gravy along with a medium drink.  I was intrigued by this menu item because the sauce is oil-based, crafted that way to maintain the crispiness of the chicken.  A traditional BBQ sauce would result in soggy breading and who wants soggy fried chicken, right?

Read the full review at www.bacheloronthecheap.com

Coffee Challenge: A review of Folger's Hazelnut - Bachelor on the Cheap

By Mike Thayer

Like so many working stiffs, I've GOT to have my coffee in the morning to get jump started. Traditionally, I'm a Folgers Classic Roast kind of guy and I doctor my coffee with some hazelnut flavored creamer.  No, I'm NOT a coffee snob.  I don't do the whole beans and a coffee grinder thing, screw that, buying ground coffee works just fine for me.

But in trying to eliminate some sugars from my diet, I've dropped the flavored creamer from my morning routine, switching to real, heavy cream. The various flavored brands of coffee creamer range 5-10 grams of sugar per serving, heavy cream weighs in at 0.1 grams.  But in making that change, my coffee was far less enjoyable. I missed the hazelnut!

So during my next visit to the grocery store, I picked up some hazelnut coffee.  On that trip, I picked up a bag of Dunkin' Donuts hazelnut and you can read that review here.  The Dunkin' was a bit of a disappointment, it left me wondering if there wasn't something better out there in a hazelnut grind.  Hence, this coffee challenge.

20190221_074742Today, I'm reviewing Folger's version of a hazelnut grind.

Here's the description of the coffee from the container:  Flavorful and smooth, with a distinctive blend of hazelnut flavor.

Read the full review at www.bacheloronthecheap.com

Structure Fire on Kirkwood Avenue

The Iowa City Fire Department responded to a structure fire on Kirkwood Avenue today.
At 6:15 a.m. on Thursday, February 21st, the Iowa City Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire at 740 Kirkwood Avenue. Neighbors called 911 reporting the rear porch to be on fire.  The first fire unit arrived on scene five minutes after notification and reported fire showing from a two-story, residential structure.

Crews brought the fire under control within sixteen minutes.  After a quick search of the structure, it was found to be unoccupied. The fire was contained to the basement and first floor.

Sixteen fire personnel responded to the initial alarm. Outside agency support and assistance was provided by the Iowa City Police Department, Johnson County Ambulance Service, Johnson County Joint Emergency Communications Center and Mid-American Energy.

No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported. The residence sustained fire damage to the first floor and smoke damage throughout the structure.  The fire department estimates $70,000 in damage to the structure.  The cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Iowa City Fire Department.

For more information, contact the on-duty Battalion Chief at 319-356-5255

Kirkwood fire

Register now for Low-Maintenance Vegetable Gardening classes

Green your thumb, improve wellness, and beautify your garden with the Low-Maintenance Vegetable Gardening series presented by the Iowa City Parks & Recreation Department and Backyard Abundance. Participants will take home all the knowledge, seeds, publications, and inspiring ideas needed to successfully grow vegetables and herbs in a personal garden. 

The Low-Maintenance Vegetable Gardening series takes place on Saturdays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. in the Edible Classroom at the Robert A. Lee Recreation Center, 220 S. Gilbert St.

Register for one or many of the following classes: 

• March 9: Bed Placement and Layout (11242)
  • April 6: Seed Starting (11243)
  • May 11: Bed Preparation and Planting (11244)
  • May 18: Gardening for Health and Fun (11245)
  • June 8: Container Gardening (11246)
  • July 13: Eat your Greens (11247)
  • Aug. 10: Composting and Fertilizing (11248)
  • All seven classes (11241)

Individual classes are $22 per class or $115 for all seven classes. Register at www.icgov.org/activityregistration. 

Questions? Contact Joyce Carroll at 319-356-5223. 

Towing begins at 2 a.m. on Feb. 22, 2019, in Downtown for snow removal

Crews will remove snow in Downtown Iowa City overnight Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, beginning at 2 a.m. Vehicles parked in tow-away zones will be removed.

Towing will impact Prentiss Street to Market Street, Madison Street to Gilbert Street, as well as N. Clinton Street from Market Street to Church Street. The parking in these areas are metered spots, which do not permit parking from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. Follow all posted parking signs to prevent your vehicle from being towed.

Vehicles can be moved to a Downtown Parking ramp, or to on-street parking spaces outside of the area. Be sure to follow all posted signs.

If your vehicle is towed, contact the Iowa City Police Department at 319-356-5275. Do not call 911. 

Snow Removal Map

Corridor MPO Seeks Public’s Input on Transportation Priorities and Funding as Long Range Transportation Plan is Developed

CEDAR RAPIDS – Residents of Cedar Rapids, Ely, Fairfax, Hiawatha, Linn County, Marion, Palo, and Robins can weigh in on how the region invests approximately $125 million in transportation over the next 25 years. Input is critical to help Corridor MPO prioritize regional transportation investments.

The Corridor Metropolitan Planning Organization seeks input from the public as they begin the planning process for the next long-range transportation plan to improve the Cedar Rapids Metro. The plan will guide the allocation of approximately $5 million in annual federal funding. The public will be asked to prioritize transportation goals and types of projects they would like to see transportation dollars invested.

The first opportunity for input will be at the Corridor MPO booth at NewBo City Market (1100 3rd St SE) in Cedar Rapids on Saturday, February 23rd from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. A survey to collect additional feedback will launch at the same time. Those providing input at the booth on Saturday or via the online survey can enter for a chance to win one of three $30 gift cards to NewBo City Market.

Please check the Corridor MPO website or Facebook page for future opportunities to provide input on the Corridor MPO’s Long Range Transportation Plan.

Residents Urged to Beware of Thin Ice on Area Waterways

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA – The Cedar Rapids Fire Department is urging all citizens to be cautious of going out on snow and ice covering area waterways.  With the weather forecast indicating temperatures in the 30’s over the next few days and the likelihood of rain, the ice cover on area waterways may break up or become dangerously thin.

Outdoor enthusiasts should be particularly careful near bridges, thoroughfares, culverts and wherever else there may be currents flowing underneath as ice in these areas may be very thin or non-existent.

Citizens should watch out for thin, clear or honeycombed ice.  Dark snow and dark ice are other signs of weak spots.  Parents should alert children of unsafe ice in their area, and make sure that they stay off of the ice.

Even though the Fire Department has not responded to any incidents or injuries, the Fire Department is proactively cautioning citizens about thin ice to prevent any tragedies.  City officials found several snowmobile tracks on the Cedar River on the north side of 5-in-1 dam.  The area around the 5-in-1 dam is particularly dangerous as the snow cover can obscure a thin layer of ice underneath, especially where there is significant current flowing underneath.

Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center has amazing opportunities!!!!

18003JDJ                   Audio Visual Ops Supervisor

18003JDF                   Starbucks Barista

18003JBO                  Lead Night Auditor

18003JC5                   Guest Service Representative

190000HD                 Restaurant Supervisor

190009CH                 Dishwasher (PM Shift)

19000C7Z                  Banquet Operations Supervisor

19000BEL                  Loss Prevention Officer

19000DP6                  Banquets Event Set-Up

19000AF3                  Server Attendant-Dining Room

19000FCE                  Cook (Breakfast) 

Apply by using the following link: www.marriott.com/careers [marriott.com]  Search by job number

BBQ Sauce Challenge: Sweet Baby Ray's vs. KC Masterpiece - Bachelor on the Cheap

By Mike Thayer

What is the most popular thing to add to meats cooked outdoors?

BBQ Sauces

20190217_182745It’s true, the most popular thing to add to the plethora of meats cooked outdoors is BBQ sauce. If you had guessed ketchup, believe it or not, you would be wrong.

The person who invented BBQ sauce is unknown, but whoever he was, he was a genius! References to the sauce started appearing in 17th century English and French literature about the formation of the American colonies. The rest is history and boy has BBQ sauce been kicked up a notch with all kinds of flavors and varieties created over the last 400+ years!

A traditional flavoring for pork, beef and chicken, sauce can range from watery to thick, from being heavy on the vinegar to being loaded with spice. Ranging in flavor from sugary to savory, to HOT!, heck, there’s even mustard and mayonnaise based BBQ sauces. It’s a regional thing, there’s Carolina BBQ; Tennessee whiskey BBQ; Texas BBQ; and the favorite of many, Kansas City Style BBQ.

What is your favorite, do you like sweet, tangy, KC style, Carolina style?  Have you tried enough variety to know?

In the coming weeks, I'm going to be sampling it all, making comparisons and letting you know what I think the cream of the crop is. Will it be KC Masterpiece? Sweet Baby Ray's? Stubbs? Something else?

20190217_184322First upKC Masterpiece vs. Sweet Baby Ray's

For more food and drink reviews, go to www.bacheloronthecheap.com